Boston Sports Institute, Wellesley
900 Worcester Street, Wellesley MA
THE FOLLOWING PROGRAMS WILL RESUME AS SOON AS WE ARE ABLE.
PLEASE STAY TUNED:
WHAT IS THE BOSTON SPORTS INSTITUTE?
The Boston Sports Institute houses two NHL-size ice surfaces (85 x 200feet), a 15,000 SF field-house supporting a four season synthetic turf field, a 35,000 SF open and accessibly designed natatorium housing two pools, a 6,700 SF Strength & Conditioning Center, a 450 LF elevated walking track, physical therapy facilities, a pro shop, and concessions.
The Natatorium at the Boston Sports Institute
The Wellesley Sports Center (d.b.a. the Boston Sports Institute) includes a 35,000 SF open and accessibly designed natatorium housing two pools.
- The large 13-lane competition pool measures 105 x 75 feet with a depth of 4 – 12.5 feet It has a bulkhead (creating 10 lanes of 25 yards each with 3 perpendicular 25 yard lanes, adjustable to create 10 lanes of 25 meters each), two 1m diving boards, 10 starting blocks, and is kept at a temperature of 79-80 degrees.
- The mezzanine level of the natatorium has spectator seating for approximately 300 overlooking the competition pool.
- The small 3 lane teaching pool measures 23½ x 44 feet with a depth of 4 feet and a temperature of 86-88 degrees.
- The two pools are separated by a wall to allow for appropriate air temperatures above each.
- Both pools are ADA compliant.
- Three changing rooms are available for patrons of the pools – Men’s, Women’s and Family (gender non-specific). For safety, changing rooms are kept locked at all times, prohibiting access from the hallway outside of the natatorium, with entrance only from the wet corridor and pool deck.
The 13 lane competition pool is the 2012 Olympic Trials pool designed by Myrtha Pools. As the 2012 Trials pool, the likes of Michael Phelps, Katie Ledecky, Natalie Coughlin, Cullen Jones, and more qualified for the 2012 Olympic Team while swimming in this pool now located in Wellesley, MA.
13 lanes of 25 yards each: 10 plus 3 perpendicular separated by a bulkhead
79 – 81 degrees
25 x 44 feet with a depth of 4 feet
86 – 88 degrees
ABOUT THE 2012 OLYMPIC TRIALS POOL
The Boston Sports Institute is the new home of the 2012 Olympic Trials Pool. This state-of-the-art pool was used in Omaha Nebraska in late June 2012, dismantled and stored for later transported to Wellesley. This unique technology comes from Italian company, Myrtha/A&T.
“Lifelong durability, low operating and long term maintenance costs and overall speed are the greatest features of the Myrtha stainless steel / PVC construction and, coupled with UV based water purification and the most advanced regenerative media filtration systems, this pool is quite simply the greenest and best available on the market today. To offer this pool to the New England Swimming community is a source of great pride for our entire staff”, Mike Morawski, President, Charles River Aquatics.
“Relocation of the Trials pool to the Boston area by Charles River Aquatics further enhances the partnership that Myrtha Pool and USA Swimming have formed to help swimming become a bigger and more recognizable participation and spectator sport in the US,” said Kevin McGrath, President and CEO of Myrtha Pools. “From the 12,000 plus spectators watching the Trials in Omaha this summer (2012)to future generations of young children learning to swim, gaining their first training and competitive swimming experience to the full range of fitness programs this pool will be a great asset for years to come.”
“We welcome Charles River Aquatics into the worldwide Myrtha family of elite state of the art aquatic facilities supported by our experience and technology. We look forward to our continuing relationship with USA Swimming and Charles River Aquatics to bring this technology to more and more swimmers and teams throughout the US.” To view the entire article:
ESG Associates is a full-service strategic consulting and development company providing recreational design, development, programming and operations services. Founded in 2001, ESG Associates is committed to creating, managing and operating facilities to serve all levels of athletes–youth development programs through professional sports teams and leagues.
For additional information on ESG Associates, please visit www.edgesportsgroup.com.